AI Writing tools are revolutionizing the way we create content. They are becoming indispensable in a content creator’s toolkit. AI Writing Tools are deployed in various use cases, right from drafting blog posts to writing ad copies.
With the right inputs, the tools generate original content like humans.
What are AI content writing tools? AI Tools use complex algorithms and machine learning programs. They extract patterns from existing data to produce new content. This content is based on this given data and algorithm design.
I’ve been in the Tech industry for about 25 years. I have experienced how the Internet, Mobile, Big Data, and Cloud affect our lives. In my opinion, Generative AI has the same potential to disrupt how we run our day-to-day lives.
I have been using & reviewing AI writing assistant software over the last year. It has given me a good understanding of how things look under the hood.
In this post, I have looked at different aspects of AI writing and reviewed five of the best AI content writing tools.
1. Generative AI – Key Insights You Should Have
Generative AI is transforming the content writing landscape. Its widespread use poses a fresh set of challenges and ethical considerations.
AI Tools provide innovators and artists access to new platforms and tools for self-expression. There is a worry that technology could diminish or substitute human creativity. AI alters this dynamic by merging the creative and technology worlds.
It impacts various domains, such as healthcare, gaming, and climate change. It is helping to address some of the significant challenges the world is confronting. As an example:
In this section, let us discuss some of the critical aspects of AI Writing technology.
1.1 Does Google Penalize AI Content?
The AI writing generator revolution has increased the productivity of content creation. AI tools have enabled writers to produce large volumes of content, at scale. Automation helps them save time and costs.
But deploying AI content generation raises the question of quality. Can AI-generated content meet the quality criteria for Google Search? Does Google penalize AI content just because a machine wrote it?
Google’s search algorithm aims to deliver high-quality results. So, the results should be relevant to the user queries. Google has mechanisms to identify spammy, low-quality content to achieve this goal.
Through 2022, the SEO community had ambiguous viewpoints on this subject. Mixed signals from Google didn’t help. Some experts advocated that AI-generated content is against Google guidelines.
A Google announcement on 8th February 2023 clarified this matter. Below is an extract from Google’s Blog titled “Google Search guidance about AI-generated content”:
This announcement established that the method of content generation didn’t matter. Yet, remember that to perform well in Google Search, it is critical to meet the E-E-A-T criterion.
As per Google’s Webmaster Guidelines, content creation should be to benefit consumers. It should be relevant to the user’s search intent. They should not be written FOR search engine purposes.
In summary, AI-Generated content cannot be low-quality. It cannot be irrelevant to the user’s search intent. Otherwise, it will be penalized by Google.
Here are the best practices for producing high-quality content:
- Do not plagiarize content.
- Include your perspective on the topic and experience.
- Include credible statistics.
- Make sure the article is adding value to the target audience.
- Fact-check AI Content.
- Track SEO Performance.
- Use AI as an assistant only – not a replacement for human writing.
1.2 AI-Generated Text Detector
It is always challenging to ensure that the content is of good quality. It should be unique, i.e., plagiarism-free, and not violate copyright. AI-Generated Text Detector tools are beneficial in this context.
AI content detectors scan information from the webpage or document. The content is passed through artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms. They look for potential problems like AI-Generated content and plagiarism.
AI content detectors pick up anomalies that human moderators would miss. These mistakes happen while reviewing vast amounts of content in a short time.
The detectors can be applied to various types of content. i.e., articles, essays, social media posts, and videos.
AI content detection tools have a wide range of uses. The benefits include:
- Content moderation: This is monitoring end-user-written content on websites, social media, and other online platforms.
Reports from these tools help human moderators quickly identify inappropriate or offensive posts.
- AI vs. human written content detection: The tools check if the text is from an AI writer tool and then spit out a score. The score indicates the % of human-written text and % AI-Generated.
- Plagiarism detection: The programs look for a match between a piece of content and similar content on the internet. They can identify even the most minor instances of plagiarism by using NLP engines.
The final output is a percentage score indicating the degree of content plagiarized.
- Copyright infringement: The programs look for matches between a piece of content and similar content on the internet. They can identify even the most minor instances of plagiarism. It is by using advanced NLP engines.
The final output is a percentage score indicating the degree of content plagiarized.
- Fake news detection: The programs examine text using advanced NLP algorithms. They determine its authenticity by looking at its tone, sources, and language.
The accuracy and reliability of content detector AI depend on several factors. These factors include the type of analysis being performed. It also consists of the quality and quantity of data.
Finding the most accurate AI text detectors remains a challenge. But for plagiarism detection, AI content detectors are generally accurate and reliable.
I recommend five of these tools for AI Content Detection:
As Generative AI technology evolves, so will Content Detection tools. These technological advancements will continue to add value to human writing efforts.
1.3 Ethics in AI
It is important to be mindful of the moral implications of using AI technology. And how it might affect society. AI revolutionizes how we produce content, and it raises serious ethical questions.
One of the ethical worries is the possibility of misleading readers. For instance, an AI-generated video or image could be used to propagate fake news. Such practices raise concerns about how to govern AI and prevent abuse.
Ownership of AI-generated content raises another set of ethical questions.
Who owns the copyright when an AI program produces a work of music or art? Should the person who wrote the AI algorithm be treated as the creator? Or the user who provided the input data?
These problematic issues must be addressed. Also, it should ensure that the rightful owners receive proper acknowledgment and compensation.
Generative AI could reinforce discrimination and prejudice in society. An AI program may produce results reflecting the biases induced while learning.
For instance, AI may drive a hiring tool to get trained on prejudiced data. This training may lead to bias against some demographics. We must overcome these prejudices to stop AI from propagating discrimination.
One more crucial ethical issue in this context is privacy. AI algorithms could learn from personal data. So, how to safeguard personal information and stop its misuse is unclear.
We must have strict data protection legislation in place. This legislation will prevent the abuse of personal data in AI algorithms.
In summary, the moral consequences of AI Content Generation are diverse and complex. Is there an AI tool to write anything? The answer is “Yes” and the tools generate based inputs and models they are trained on.
So, we must address these worries and create rules and norms. These norms will ensure that AI is applied morally and responsibly.
1.4 AI and Job Market
The AI technology growth has led to concerns about its impact on the job market. It is taking over jobs across a spectrum of domains. Understanding how this will affect people and future employment is essential.
Experts predict that AI could potentially augment or replace a range of jobs. This phenomenon is particularly prevalent in a particular class of industries. What positions will be taken over by AI? Those that involve research-intensive, repetitive tasks or have easily automatable processes.
Some of the sectors directly affected by AI are listed below:
- Financial Services
- Customer Support
- Translation Services
- Social Media Management
One must note that AI may only partially replace some of the jobs. But it will also create new opportunities in emerging areas.
Emerging AI Jobs
As AI evolves, new job roles and opportunities will emerge. The latest AI/ML jobs are across industry domains. They need a mix of strategic, creative, and technical skills.
Some of the potential new AI jobs include:
- AI Product Managers: Professionals who develop and manage AI products from ideation to launch.
- AI System Managers: Employees who oversee and manage AI systems. They ensure smooth operation and effective integration into workflows.
- AI Trainers: Professionals who train AI systems. They teach them to recognize patterns and generate output aligned with specific goals.
- Prompt Engineers: This role has emerged due to generative AI technology. They are responsible for designing and refining the prompts or inputs.
- Data Labellers: Individuals responsible for labeling and tagging large amounts of data. The data is to train and improve AI systems.
- AI Interface Designers: Professionals who design and develop user interfaces and experiences. It helps human interaction with AI systems.
- AI Sales Specialists: Experts who sell AI solutions and help clients understand their applications.
- AI Ethics Experts: Professionals who ensure AI systems are developed and responsibly used within ethical frameworks.
Contrary to common fears, AI is not necessarily a job killer. Instead, it creates new job opportunities by taking over mundane tasks.
It allows humans to focus on more strategic and creative aspects of their work.
1.5 AI Writing and Business
AI Writing is having a significant impact on how we solve real-world challenges. It is used in various sectors, such as gaming, healthcare, and climate change. It is helping to address the significant challenges the world is confronting.
- The gaming industry produces realistic game settings using AI. They have interesting characters with distinctive personalities and actions.
- AI programs help Healthcare organizations create relevant artificial data. This data is required to train machine learning models and preserve patient privacy. It enables quicker and more accurate diagnosis.
- AI is also being leveraged in enterprise back-office applications. Examples are Customer Support, Human Capital Management, Supply Chain, and Marketing.
- AI Essay writer tools help recruiters create accurate job descriptions. It enables the recruiters to attract the right talent.
- It helps the marketing team create customer communication content. The content is consistent with their brand.
- Supply Chain Teams can create accurate product descriptions generated using AI writing software. These descriptions help in effective communication with vendors.
In summary, AI is helping resolve a wide range of real-world problems. This impact is across various domains, i.e., healthcare, entertainment, supply chain, etc.
2. Top Five AI Content Writing Tools
I have reviewed five of the best AI Writing tools in this article. Each of them has its unique strengths, features, and pricing plans. Some of them have freemium plans too.
What is the best AI tool for writing? Let’s jump into my recommended list of the top five AI Writing tools!
Writesonic has a full suite of AI tools to enable your content-generation efforts. It has excellent integration features to help you easily publish the content. The tool is very intuitive for beginners and has extensive product documentation. A detailed Writesonic review is available in Coolfundas.
Key Features of Writesonic
Writesonic has its functionality grouped under six broad use cases:
- Articles And Blogs: This section has 14 features to enable the article writing process end to end.
- Ads And Marketing Tools: This section has six tools to generate ad copies for LinkedIn, Google, and Facebook.
- General Writing: The General Writing section has 16 rich features for writing stories. You can also shorten/expand or rephrase paragraphs.
- E-commerce: The E-commerce section has features for writing Amazon-related product descriptions, titles, and ads.
- Social Media: The Social Media section has 14 powerful features to publish engaging content. It could be for YouTube, Tiktok, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Website Copy: The Website Copy section has eight features to assist web designers.
- Others: This section has 16 features to augment the content generation process. It includes features like generating text summaries or changing the text’s tone.
Chatsonic is a powerful alternative to ChatGPT. Its Google Search integration produces real-time search results. You can also provide inputs from a voice command.
Photosonic by Write Sonic is an AI image generator that lets you create visual images. It is useful when you need a logo, a banner, or a social media post.
Botsonic is a revolutionary no-code AI chatbot builder by Writesonic. It enables your website with a ChatGPT-powered AI chatbot.
Using the no-code chatbot builder, you can customize it to your business needs.
It is Writesonic’s interface and ease of faster publishing of content and SEO optimization within other software. The six integrations are listed below:
- Chrome extension
- Surfer SEO
Writesonic Pricing Plans
I rate this tool high on “Value For Money,” considering the breadth of tools available at this price point.
Writesonic offers a free plan with 10,000-word monthly credits (no credit card needed). This plan has access to most of the product functionality. This plan suits low-volume beginners who need to understand the product well.
See detailed pricing snapshot:
2.2 Content at Scale
Content at Scale is an AI-driven content generation platform released in September 2022. With just a few keywords as inputs, it generates full-length, SEO-optimized blogs.
The tool uses a sophisticated blend of three AI engines, two language processing, and semantic analysis algorithms. This combination helps it produce high-quality, human-like content.
The focus of Content at Scale is to streamline content production of long-form text. Content at Scale got more capabilities with the release of the 2.0 version. You can now create articles with different kinds of inputs. They include videos, blogs, podcasts, or other documents.
Key Features of Content at Scale
- Full-Length AI-Written Blogs: Content at Scale generates comprehensive, well-structured, SEO-optimized blog posts.
- Online Research & Search Crawling Support: Content at Scale has a robust online research and search crawling support system. The tool analyses top Google results for your article keyword.
- WordPress and Shopify Integrations: Content at Scale offers plugins for WordPress and Shopify. These integrations help the seamless posting of your articles directly to your site.
- Built-In Plagiarism Checker: Content at Scale has a built-in plagiarism checker. It scans your content for originality.
Pricing Plans for Content at Scale
Content at Scale offers different pricing plans to cater to various needs. The pricing starts at $250/month for eight articles, equating to 0.012 cents per word. The more you pay, the more articles you get, and at a cheaper rate.
Content At Scale Trial
Content at Scale offers a 7-day paid trial to check all the product features. You pay $39.99 for the trial period to access the product. You can generate one full blog in this trial period and explore all the product has to offer.
If you choose to continue at the end of the trial period, you get charged the whole month’s subscription. Bottomline, you do not get Content at Scale free for trial.
See the screenshot below for different pricing tiers.
2.3 QuillBot AI
QuillBot AI is a complete suite of AI writing tools. It is popular among students, writers, and professionals. Its popularity is due to its ease of use and free forever plan.
Their flagship product is the QuillBot Paraphrase. The Paraphrasing tool is used to improve the clarity & coherence of the written text. Using it can save time by reducing the need for manual editing.
You can retain the original intent while rewriting (paraphrasing) sentences, paragraphs, and documents. Non-writers can also leverage the Thesaurus in QuillBot.
Key features of QuillBot
QuillBot AI is fast and easy to use. What I like best about this AI-powered tool is its simplicity. Most of the tasks can get done by simple copy/paste of the source text. And with the click of a button, you get the output text.
- Paraphraser: The QuillBot Paraphrase is their flagship tool. It can rephrase sentences, paragraphs, essays, and articles with the click of a button. A Synonyms slider lets you control the level of changes in the text. The tool gives options to customize the output with five different settings.
- Grammar Tools: This tool is useful when reviewing your writing or as a grammar checker. You can make the editing process headache-free and avoid grammatical mistakes.
- Plagiarism Checker: The plagiarism checker by QuillBot evaluates your text vs. other text on the internet. The online analyses are real-time. So, it quickly and accurately reviews all instances of plagiarized writing. This tool is available to Premium users only.
- Citation Generator: You may incorporate external sources while authoring your research article or blog. You usually do it to back up a claim or concept. Citation Generators from QuillBot can help you automatically credit those sources.
- Summarizer: QuillBot Summarizer feature can quickly distill lengthy text to its summary. They could be general articles, research papers, or documents. This summary generation happens with the click of a button and is super quick.
- Co-Writer: The Co-Writer is an all-in-one writing space, like a Word Processor on steroids. It combines all QuillBot’s tools within one context. i.e., the Paraphraser, Grammar Checker, and Summarizer. They are all integrated into the Co-Writer.
- Translator: The Translator tool can translate 30 different languages. This free tool uses the power of AI to translate text quickly and accurately to the target language. In addition, the mobile-friendly webpage does not need local app installs.
- Word Counter: QuillBot’s online word count tool displays data in words and characters. It allows you to toggle on/off whether spaces should be counted as characters.
- Chrome Extension: You can extend the QuillBot functionality to other websites using the Chrome Extension. You can also use the same extension in Chrome-based browsers like Microsoft Edge.
- Microsoft Word Extension: Using this extension, you can use QuillBot functionality in Word. After installation, you will find a new tab QuillBot to access all the functionality.
- Google Docs Extension: This extension helps you use Quillbot within Google Docs. After installation, you will find QuillBot in the Add Ons Tab.
Is there an AI that will write for you for free? QuillBot’s Free Forever Plan is the default when you sign-up. So it ranks high among the best free AI Writing Tools like its close competitor Rytr. It provides access to most of the product functionality with a few limitations. This Plan is free forever and does not need Credit Card details.
The best value option in Premium is the Annual Plan at $4.17 per month (billed annually). You get more benefits in Premium Plan. These include a Plagiarism checker, unlimited words in Paraphraser, 6000 words in Summarizer, etc.
Below is a screenshot of the detailed pricing.
2.4 Jasper AI
Jasper AI is among the popular AI Content Generation tools. The first version of Jasper AI writing assistant was released in January 2021. It was earlier called Jarvis AI.
The engine behind Jasper is GPT-3, which OpenAI developed. It is now a market leader in the AI copywriting tool segment.
Jasper has an impressive bouquet of 50+ content creation templates for you to choose from. These templates cover various content type requirements—for example, Facebook ads, Newsletter releases, personalized email subject lines, or complete blog articles.
Key features of Jasper AI
Jasper offers a powerful document editor and is the best writing tool on the market. It enables you to write at lightning-fast speeds. It is a fabulous solution for authors who need to increase their productivity.
The key features of the Jasper AI tool are:
- Plagiarism-free content – Copyscape can check it within the Jasper app.
- You can create original content that ranks for Google SEO. With a SurferSEO integration, you can unlock the keywords needed to rank high on search.
- You can tailor the output by commanding the AI to write what you want. The user-friendly and guided workflow process within Jasper makes it very simple.
- Jasper has 50+ copywriting tools within its umbrella. You can effortlessly craft basic blog introductions or become a storyteller.
Jasper Chat is designed for humans to have a natural conversation with AI. You can ask the AI chatbot to generate blog post topic ideas, revise your content, or even give you a bedtime story.
Jasper AI Integrations
- Surfer SEO: You can conveniently access the Surfer SEO sidebar tool within the Jasper app.
- Plagiarism Checker: Copyscape powers Jasper’s Plagiarism Checker, and the integration enables it.
- DeepL Translation: Although Jasper is primarily trained in English, they have partnered with DeepL to provide services in 31 languages (a growing number!).
Jasper AI Free Trial – Is Jasper AI free? You get a 7-day free trial to try all the product features.
Here are a few pointers about the Free Trial:
- You need to provide your credit card initially to get a subscription. Jasper team will run an authorization transaction and reverse it immediately.
- There’s no charge if you raise a support ticket to cancel before the end of five day free trial period. You should be within the free Word credit limit.
- You get charged based on the chosen plan if you want to continue after the 7-day trial period.
Jasper offered revised pricing plans from May 2023. The below screenshot has the monthly fee, billed annually.
2.5 Surfer SEO
Surfer AI streamlines your content creation process. It’s done by taking care of research, writing, and optimization. It not just helps you generate articles, it generates traffic as well.
Surfer will give you an SEO workflow to boost your organic traffic. It increases visibility and improves search ranking for your articles.
Surfer’s Content Editor is designed to provide relevant keywords in real-time.
Key Features of Surfer AI
- Surfer gives you two options. First, generate a list of relevant keywords, create an outline, and write optimized content. You continue getting real-time feedback from the Content Editor. The second option combines the research, writing, and optimization process. All with the click of a button.
- The built-in Outline Builder is useful for structuring content within a detailed outline.
- With Surfer, you aren’t limited to only English. Write and optimize simultaneously using real-time metrics to rank high in multiple languages worldwide.
- You should ensure the authenticity of your article to avoid potential penalties. Surfer checks your content for plagiarism in both scenarios when you are writing it yourself or producing AI-generated content.
Surfer SEO Pricing
The below gives a snapshot of the pricing. An annual plan gives you a discount of up to 34% compared to the monthly payouts.
Do note that unused credits do not roll over to the next month. The only exception is when you upgrade to a higher plan and have credits left from your previous plan.
Surfer SEO offers the following free tools:
- AI Outline Generator – Create outlines that your audience and Google will love
- Keyword Surfer Extension – Get search volumes & keyword data directly in your browser.
AI writing tools are becoming critical content-creation resources in the evolving digital world. Despite some challenges, they offer immense potential for businesses and individual content creators. They can generate diverse content quickly and efficiently. It makes them a worthy addition to any content creation strategy.
AI writing tools provide a great starting point. Human creativity and intuition are irreplaceable. Thus, the best approach is to use these tools as assistants, not replacements for humans.